Monday, November 15, 2010

Final Reflection

The learning journey through ES2007S has been so enjoyable that I didn’t even feel time passing by. As a freshie, I really learned something which can benefit me in the following university life.
Something new
The most important skill I learned in this course is presentation skill. What I used to do is to present all the methodology, primary and secondary research. However, I learned from this course that we need to “sell” our ideas to the audience instead of talking too much on the work we do.

Also, I used to present things like I am reading a report. What I learned from this course is that presenting is more about the presenter than the slides. I should use more vivid examples or stories to engage the audience instead of delivering a lecture.

Suffering but happy
Blogging is a new and interesting topic for me. Actually, I felt a bit disappointed when I heard that we had to write our posts in a very formal way. To be honest, I do not like writing but I know that blogging will benefit me so I try my best to do it.

Afterwards I realized that the most suffering part is not writing the post but the commenting part. I had to comment meeting a certain standard. Sometimes, I really had to get all my brain cells to work but I really learned a lot during the process. I learned how to point out one’s weakness and strength. I felt very happy when I finished them.

I really hope that this course can last for longer time so that I can learn more and meet my friends more. I want to say a big thank you to Brad and everyone in this class. Your encouragement and our friendship have made this course an unforgettable experience for me!!

11 comments:

  1. Interesting post, Cosine :D I also learned a lot from this course although I have been in NUS for more than 3 years :) sometimes I talked to myself and found myself regretting not to take this course earlier.

    With me, the comment task is quite interesting since it forces me to read the other people's blog in order to give the "right" comments. And you know, I found a lot of interesting stuffs from you guys' posts. However, I do agree with you that it's hard to express our opinions into words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cosine!

    I agree with Hong that I actually think I should have taken this module earlier. You can consider yourself fortunate in a certain way, having taken this module so early in your undergraduate life.

    Yes, I also had difficulties writing comments for other people. But I do try my best to write something constructive. Haha.

    Alright, that's all from me. Oh by the way, thanks for the compliment - joining the drama club has never crossed my mind in my entire life. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cosine,

    Yes, we learnt to sell ideas in a more interesting way from ES2007S. I am really proud of myself to take this module.

    Haha, I have to brainstorm every time I write comments and feel difficult to give constructive opinions also. Sometimes, I read some posts and spent quite a long time to think, but I didn't leave comment because I did not have any ideas for commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Suffering but happy"!! What an incisive summary! Haha! So true!

    I think you have done your job quite well in this course as a freshie. Wish your better performance in the future in NUS.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Cosine,

    Wow, I have never felt that commenting posts can be that "suffering". Honestly speaking, I have never felt it in that way before. To me, I just comment on how I feel at that time.

    It is nice to be learning alongside with you though! Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi guys,
    Thank you for your encouragement!! :D
    I am really happy to have you around in class.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Cosine!

    I agree that we all learnt something new in this class. Life skills that is useful to us in this society.

    You are fortunate to be able to take this course as a freshie! Your presentation throughout NUS will never be the same =D

    Keep in touch!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, commending! I totally agree with you, Cosine! Sometimes it can be real time consuming to think critically and contribute constructive comment for me. However, I think blogging had been a helpful platform for us to learn from each other, agree?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for this clear, concise final post, Cosine. In it you briefly present some of the key take away points, but what I really appreciate is how you honestly address your initial doubts. It reassuring for me to hear how your opinion toward the blogging changed, and that you found true value in the process. I hope what you have learned will serve you as you continue your learning journey. Best of luck with that!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Elin,
    Yup,I think blogging is a really useful platform for us to develop communication and writing skills. It helped me a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Cosine,

    I agree with the rest that the 2 of us are quite lucky to have taken this module so early in our life in NUS.

    Hopefully all our presentations in the years to come will be good and we make Brad proud of us :)

    And I especially like ES2007S because of the wonderful friendships forged. Im more than happy to have found such a great friend like you Cosine! :D

    Pavi :)

    ReplyDelete