Sunday, January 16, 2011

Post 1

HI everyone, I’m Yu Xian and you can call me Cosine. (That’s always the way I introduce myself.) Am I kidding? Of course… not, the Chinese translation of cosine is exactly my name. (My dad is a Math professor) It sounds a bit weird right? Just like someone tell you that her name is Calculus or Integration. At first, my English name is not Cosine. But since everyone likes calling me that, well, okay, I think maybe Cosine is the perfect name for me and of course, it is easy to remember. :D

Maybe I talk too much about my name. I am year one, from Mechanical Engineering. Many people ask me why I choose this course because everyone thinks that a girl like me would prefer learning Math and find a job in a bank in the future. But I think I should do something I enjoy such as physics and hands-on activities, although I may not be that good at them. If I don’t choose ME, I will never have a chance to choose it again in the future. As far for now, I am not regretful for my decision.

I really like the saying: ‘It is the decisions that make us who we are.’ That’s why I choose this course. I’m interested in this topic and I want to learn more about writing. Unlike most of my classmates, English is not my first language so most of the times; I hesitate to speak out my ideas. But I know I must change my attitudes and be more involved in class discussion. I will try harder and learn from you guys. :)

This video is a cut from Friends. It’s quite interesting because we can see that the Rachael and Ross use totally different ways to describe the same thing. Rachael remembers every single detail of the kiss clearly. For Rachael and her friends, the kiss can be their word of the day and they are apparently overwhelmed: they celebrate with wine and unplug the phone. However, Ross talks to his friends about the kiss calmly as if he tells his friends that he likes swimming. For Ross, a kiss is just a kiss; it’s a thing, not a world. 

Women are good at catching tiny details of men. Once they gather these details and their friends’ analysis of these details, they may easily draw conclusion like, ‘He definitely has crush on me.’ While for men, they have a goal in mind and they don’t usually pay attention to the details. Men cannot understand why women’s world is so complex yet women cannot understand why men’s world is so simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment